Pi vs Three: Reconciling Engineering and Science
I'll preface this for those unaware by saying I'm studying aerospace
engineering. Through a tumultuous month in the summer, I forwent my years-long
dream of studying astrophysics and, lured by the smell of kerosene and the
warmth of a rocket engine, changed trajectory to a university I originally held
as my last backup. Despite the crippling pain from realising the lack of
holidays compared to my friends, I've grown to love the field, and hey, getting
to (well, perhaps not yet) call myself a rocket scientist is a neat bonus.
With that said, those sun-soaked weeks of burdened mind, oscillating
decision to decision on an hourly basis and flipping coins in potato fields
(which ironically probably helped me more than my internal conversation ever
did) would prove to be far from the last of its kind. I don't think the
conflict ever will truly resolve but I also don't necessarily consider it a
negative.
Now I'm on the path to becoming an engineer. The heroes of the STEM world,
they raise buildings to the skies and rockets even further, they're the great
inventors of today. A blank sheet with a problem is transformed with articulate
mathematical methods and skilful approximations to a tangible, practical
solution; I imagine the pride in seeing a plane you had a part in designing
taking off is incredible. Engineering is employable and impressive: for reasons
I can't discern, many people seem far more impressed by the title of an
aerospace engineer than that of, say, a physicist. Certainly, by combining
knowledge from physics all the way through economics, engineers devote their
work to improving the lives of us all, and that's not the worst goal to work
towards in life.
It's then both fantastic and annoying, then, that every degree has
positives and negatives. I don't know whether it's more heartbreaking to focus on the
inevitable faults or the benefits, but there just always seems to be something
that, in a completely different and incompatible way, enthrals you just as much
as what you're currently devoting yourself to.
Enter science (for me, at least). There's a sense of purity in my eyes
to physics and maths, one that dirty, approximating, applicational engineering
could never compare to. Indeed when a close friend is asked about her maths
degree and she gets to say she "enjoys the more theoretical studies"
I want to interject with: "oh, but engineering has plenty of theory! And
you can specialise and do research and be a professor researching just like a
scientist would!". Yet does this pertain? I must admit I'm far too inexperienced to know, but I suspect there's a clear difference between the
mindset of engineering and science, even if the methods are similar.
Next to the engineers, the scientists are the minds behind their theory.
They seek the truths of the world, delving deeper than the tangible physical
problems of the current world. Scientists make history from behind deep books
hidden in romantically intricate old libraries. There's a difference between
using maths in engineering and truly "doing maths" and as I'm reminded in my
calculus lectures, theoretical problems even without directly implied
applicability to life do please me greatly.
On a slight historical note, notable engineers are also often notable
scientists: when working with insufficient theories of the world, you might
have to develop your own to continue tinkering on the flying machine you were
trying to develop. Even today there's plenty of room to change course (or so I
tell myself): a scientist can go towards technology and applied science, and
engineer become a researcher churning out academic papers on material
properties or flow characteristics. STEM is a unified category for a reason.
The idealistic views of the two sides may highlight my naïveté, but both engineering and science truly are subjects that bring
me joy (hey, I wouldn't be writing this otherwise). I'm lucky in that I have
time: time to become a researcher in propulsion, time to decide to focus on
manufacturing instead, time to quit my degree and live as an artist in Paris
(unlikely but I must admit I've considered it, perhaps a discussion for another
time). I'll let my love for physics and maths, curiosity and most importantly,
thirst for knowledge, guide me for this moment.
I'll still probably feel a tinge of jealous admiration when talking to a mathematician
or astrophysicist, but I'll also proudly declare myself (well, soon enough) an
aerospace engineer. Whatever the title or course, the Venn diagram overlap of
the principles of engineering and science is where I happily reside.
Just to agree. The choice between engineering and science is tough. That is why engineering is taught at a university, meaning it is an academic discipline. In my last week's presentation to my friends at the rotary club, I added the component of employability to the possible criteria to be considered. But I did not accept the choice as a dilemma - there is an infinite number of choices. If you extend the employability, you can become an accountant or a banker and still work with numbers. On the other hand, you can, as you very astutely pointed out, take the scientific approach, become a professor and still be an engineer. I, for one, enjoy knowing that I have tested the airplane that is taking off while at the same time I wander about the location of the singular points of the vorticity production in the wing fuselage junction geometry.
ReplyDeleteWhat was striking during the presentation was the the reaction to using the coin flipping as a decision making process. My engineer/scientist friends immediately understand the rationality of it, whereas my rotary friends, who are in the majority non-scientists, had no comprehension for this rational approach. I seriously used this technic at a junction in my career, although not for choosing the profession.
Getting back to the engineering choice, there is a concern. In the countries of the Western world, the share of the people employed in the industry has been steadily declining for more than a generation. In the NL it has dropped from just above a quarter in the year 1991 to about 1/6 at present, trend continuing (data from the world bank website). Where else can engineers go?